Medications, called cholinesterase inhibitors, are only prescribed for Alzheimer’s disease.  The medications include: Aricept® (Donepezil), Reminyl® (Galantamine), and Exelon® (Rivastigmine).   These drugs may help delay or prevent symptoms from becoming worse for a limited time, and may help control some behavioural symptoms.

The Kawartha Centre is currently conducting clinical trials in hopes of finding new treatments for Alzheimer’s disease and MCI.

Your physician may refer you to your Central East LHIN Home and Community Care to connect you with services as the need arises. If eligible, these services include:

• Visiting health care professionals

• Caregiver relief program

• Personal care & homemaking

• Day programs

• Meals on wheels

• Medication supervision

For more information on community supports in this area, please visit Central East Health Line or call 705-743-2212 or 800-263-3877

How can the Alzheimer Society help?

Services include education and counseling, support groups, and friendly visiting.   They are a valuable source of support for you and your caregiver.

How do I arrange for my family member to attend a day program?

Contact Central East LHIN Home and Community Care for information on various programs available in your area.

How do I apply for Long Term Care?

The Central East LHIN Home and Community Care manage the waitlists for long term care in the province. Contact their office for more information.

What is the difference between retirement home and nursing home?

Retirement homes are intended for older adults in reasonably good health, who are unable (or unwilling) to be in their own home.  They offer a safe, supervised environment where meals, housekeeping and organized social activities are provided.  Some homes may offer additional services including memory or dementia care.  There is no standard application process, application is made directly to the residence.  The resident is responsible for all fees, there is no government subsidy available for retirement home living.

Long term care homes are for those who are unable to live independently and require 24-hour nursing services.  Eligibility to enter a long term care home is determined by LHIN Home and Community Care.  It is based on the individual’s care needs.  The resident pays accommodation (basic, semi-private, or private) costs, while the provincial government pays for the care and programs.  The accommodation costs are set annually by the government, and subsidy is available if the basic cost is unaffordable.