Concerned about your memory or that of a loved one?

Offering comprehensive assessments of memory and thinking the Kawartha Centre’s specialists work in concert with family doctors to assess and care for patients concerned about any stage of memory loss.

What do we offer?

Using a team approach to care we offer diagnostic testing, assessment, individual treatment plans and support services to help those managing memory loss and related disorders.

Who do we see?

We provide treatment and support for people with mild cognitive impairment, Alzheimer’s and other types of dementias.

The Kawartha Centre does not typically see patients with acquired brain injury, active substance abuse, inadequately controlled psychiatric illness, long standing disabilities or Down’s Syndrome. Persons under 45 years old are also only seen under special circumstances.

Preparing for your first visit

At your first visit a nurse will complete a full review of your medical history, including your doctor’s referral notes and your medications, followed by an in-depth memory assessment.

It’s important that you bring along a family member or friend who knows you very well. As part of the assessment you and your family member will be interviewed individually which gives the opportunity to speak candidly and privately, and also gives us a fuller picture of your memory concerns.

Please be sure to bring your current Health Card and all medications you are taking (in their containers) including vitamins and supplements.

This first appointment will take about two hours.

At the end of your first visit you will be given an appointment to return, along with your family member or friend, for a consultation with one of our doctors.

The way forward

Once the assessment has been done patients continue to see the Kawartha Centre’s medical specialists until care is returned to the family doctor.

Patients, their families and caregivers take an active role in a program of care that meets their specific needs.

Memory assessment services are covered by OHIP. 

Ask your family doctor for a referral